The California Social Work Hall of Distinction committee invites you to submit a nomination to recognize an individual whose body of work over their social work career made outstanding contributions to the advancement of the social work profession and/or social work practice in California and bettered the lives of Californians.
Fundamental expectations of all Hall of Distinction nominees are that they have earned a Master of Social Work and that they have demonstrated support of social work values and the NASW Code of Ethics.
NOMINATION AND SELECTION PROCESS
• Nominations are accepted at any time, but must be submitted by January 15 to be considered for the current year. Note that, generally, in odd years, inductees are selected from northern California; in even years, they are from southern California (see below).
• The induction class is announced in the spring in NASW-CA News, on this website, and on our Facebook page.
• Current Hall of Distinction Committee members are not eligible for induction.
• If a nominee is not selected for the current year’s induction class, submitted materials are held over for automatic review, for up to five years. Nominators are notified of the committee’s decision and are invited to supplement and update the nomination submission in-between election cycles.
GUIDELINES FOR SELECTION
Honorees are generally selected from the geographic region where the induction ceremony will be held in order to facilitate the attendance of inductees and their guests. The event coincides with the NASW-CA Annual Conference, which alternates between northern and southern California venues.
Selection is based on evidence provided that the nominee has contributed to the social work profession in any of the following ways.
• Exceptional leadership in social work practice and education, research, or social policy in California.
• Risk-taking to achieve outstanding results in social policies or programs, particularly during controversial historical periods.
• Effective advocacy against potentially harmful social policies on behalf of clients and communities, and in extending social programs to underserved populations.
• Extraordinary contributions to social work practice or application of techniques.
• Initiating innovative research or programs producing positive, tangible results over a period of time.
Click here to view the Nomination Instructions and Form. Click here to download and fill in a nomination form.
Click here to complete and submit the nomination form and supporting documents online using your Google account.